[HECnet] Announcing TCP/IP for RSX-11M-PLUS

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Jun 8 11:56:27 CDT 2015

About three months since I last announced anything. There have been
various development since, and I figured I should encourage people who
are using BQTCP/IP for RSX to upgrade to the latest release.

A short list of changes:
ICMP:
. ICMP packets accidentally lost the source IP address informaton when
   returning information to a program. - Fixed.

TCP:
. User timers on TCP sockets could erroneously stop. - Fixed.
. User timers now reset on completed reads, so that you do
   not get a timeout if you are constantly completing reads.
. Sockets in Fin-Wait-2 could sometimes get stuck in that state.
   - Fixed.
. If a TCP session got an RST, it could get into a bad state. - Fixed.
. Added the ability to send URGENT data in TCP. (Receive ignores any
   URGENT flags.)
. Added a special I/O function to read from TCP without formatting.

DNS:
. Improved stability of DNS client daemon code.

FTP:
. FTP client and server performance improved.
. FTP server logging added.
. Improvements in FTP server and client for handling files with implicit
   CFLF.
. Implemented primitive handling of Unix file paths implemented in FTP
   server. This allows most web browsers to access FTP repositories
   under RSX.

I also did some performance testing using FTP.

FTP from a modern Unix system of BQTCP.DSK in binary mode to both RSX
and 2.11BSD, running under simh on the same physical machine:
2.11BSD: 210s
RSX: 141s

 From RSX (E11) to the same machines:
2.11BSD: 240s
RSX: 137s

I honestly do not know why transfer from RSX to 2.11BSD took longer than
from Unix, but transfer from RSX to RSX was faster compared to Unix to
RSX. I would have expected both to be slower or faster. But the numbers
are interesting, and show that the RSX TCP implementation is doing
fairly well, even through it goes through the DECnet ethernet driver, as
compared to 2.11BSD which runs TCP/IP more "native".

As usual, the distribution is available from:
ftp://madame.update.uu.se/bqtcp.dsk
ftp://madame.update.uu.se/bqtcp.tap
ftp://ftp.update.uu.se/pub/pdp11/rsx/tcpip/tcpip.dsk

The documentation is also available through ftp on Madame, or also at
http://madame.update.uu.se/tcpipdoc

I hope people will find this latest release useful, and my next project
right now is telnet.

	Johnny