Rescue update: DEC RC-25s + / was Re: DEC cartridge ID

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 21:22:54 CDT 2015

On Sun, Jun 7, 2015 at 9:44 PM, Mike Ross <tmfdmike at gmail.com> wrote:
> That should be trivial. I've never laid hands on an RC25, but there
> must be a microswitch that detects when a cartridge is installed, and
> is accessible for bodging...?

The problem is if you would do that, the heads on the empty cartridge
would load and smack together.   The RC25 has one motor spindle, one
positioner, and two pairs of heads.  I suppose if you found a way to
wedge the upper and lower arms of the removable cartridge so the heads
weren't damaged, you could use the fixed platter alone?

If you didn't, it would be as bad as forcing an RL02 or an RK05 to
load with no platter mounted.

-ethan