PDP-8/e front panels.

Rod Smallwood rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com
Sun Jun 7 09:39:39 CDT 2015

The switches were made by a company in the US called Stackpole They
still exist.
The switches are marked Patent  3217112
  They are a normal slide type modified with a U bracket to allow
the attachment of a lever arm to operate the switch when toggled up and
down.
They come in three types ;  hold up or down to connect and close to connect.

The lever arms are molded  from a tough type of plastic (nylon or PET ?)
They have maintained their bright colour over the years suggesting a
tightly bonded structure.

There appear to have been attempts to produce copies but the only results
I have seen, have been disappointing.

3D printing looks hopeful but not for production quantities,
The tooling for injection moulding (thats how they were produced back in
the 1970's )
is too expensive.

At this time I'm just doing replacement panels for 8/e's and maybe other 8's
Long term a light weight  resin bezel and maybe (very maybe)
  a lamp and switch panel + microprocessr to emulate a real 8.
But only if the switch sourcing problem is solved.

Rod Smallwood (Newbury England)