X11 expertise on ancient HW sought... (4-plane visual (overlay) via X-server on MS-WIndows)

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Thu Jun 4 16:55:22 CDT 2015

Richard Loken wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Jun 2015, IMAP List Administration wrote:
>
> > On the original hardware, xdpyinfo tells me:
> > > [...]
> > > supported pixmap formats:
> > >     [...]
> > >     depth 4, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
> > >     [...]
> > > screen #0:
> > >    [...]
> > >   depths (4):    8, 12, 24, 4
>
> I can muddy the water for you.  On my VMS 8.3 box (a not new Alphastation
> 500) I get this:
>
>     richardlo $ xdpyinfo
>     name of display:    _WSA2:
>     version number:    11.0
>     vendor string:    DECWINDOWS Hewlett-Packard Development Company OpenVMS
>     vendor release number:    8003
>     maximum request size:  65535 longwords (262140 bytes)
>     motion buffer size:  0
>     bitmap unit, bit order, padding:    32, LSBFirst, 32
>     image byte order:    LSBFirst
>     number of supported pixmap formats:    2
>     supported pixmap formats:
>         depth 1, bits_per_pixel 1, scanline_pad 32
>         depth 8, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
>
> So I don't have a pixmap format with a depth of 4 either.  But my Redhat
> Linux EL6.6 box does, it reports support for 1, 4, 8, 15, 16, 24, and 32.

If further muddying is required, my about 20 year old Alphaserver 800 running
VMS 8.2 with a Powerstorm something (maybe 3D30 or 4D20?) graphics card and my
PWS 500a(u) running VMS 8.3 and some slightly lesser capable graphics card that
I cannot recall the name of at all both report this:

  visual:
    visual id:    0x36
    class:    PseudoColor
    depth:    4 planes
    size of colormap:    16 entries
    red, green, blue masks:    0x0, 0x0, 0x0
    significant bits in color specification:    4 bits

and this:

SERVER_OVERLAY_VISUALS(SERVER_OVERLAY_VISUALS) = 0x36, 0x1, 0x0, 0x1

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.