PDP 11 gear finally moved

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Jul 21 21:25:31 CDT 2015

On 07/21/2015 06:56 PM, Tothwolf wrote:

> I've often wondered why they even bother to put that polarity stripe on
> modern film parts when it doesn't actually indicate the outside foil
> terminal. Maybe this is something that has become lost knowledge to
> manufacturers over the years to the point where even Vishay/Sprague
> doesn't know what that black indicator stripe was actually used for?

And not so modern parts.  I've still got a few pounds of paper-oil
capacitors (lots of Rifas) from the 1980s.  Picked them up as mixed NOS
priced about 25 cents per pound.  About half are market with polarity
marks. I never understood why.

I used one recently to replace an ignition capacitor in a 40 year old
chainsaw (a Stihl 056).  Works a treat.

--Chuck