Microsoft multiuser Basic for the Altair 8800

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Thu Jul 16 08:39:20 CDT 2015

First of all, safety first when working around these power supplies.
You have mains voltage exposed all over the place, including the front
panel switch.

What I typically do is take it all the boards out and disconnect the
power supply, and pull it out.  I then re-form the capacitors by taking
them off completely or, more often, unsoldering one lead.  In one case
recently the power supply was regulated (an Altos computer), and the
power transistors were inserted through the power supply case and into
the board from the backside, making removal both a pain and a little
risky, so I just clipped one lead of each larger in place to do the
re-forming (it turned out that in that particular case, they really
didn't need it).  I'd be pretty surprised if you actually had to replace
your capacitors.  For reforming I have had pretty good luck with a 4.7K
ohm resistor in serial with the capacitor, and in more than half the
cases, the capacitors really didn't need it.

The transformer is either good or not - and it is probably just fine.
Just measure its output voltages.  Do make sure that the transformer is
wired for your voltage depending upon where you live.  One could
disconnect it first, but the odds of it putting out too high a voltage
are very very slim, so long as it is wired for the mains voltage
wherever you happen to live.  Bad ones either put out nothing for one of
the voltages (open winding) or get hot (shorted winding).  Neither is
dangerous to the rest of the power supply.

Then, check all the voltages to make sure they are not way too high, and
throw and oscilloscope on it to make sure that there isn't a whole lot
of ripple (typically caused by a bad rectifier).   Remember that on the
original Altair and most S100 machines each board had its own regulator,
so this isn't an exact thing.  (On my machine, I actually had to add a
second 8V supply in order to provide power for a backplane completely
full of boards.)

For bootstraps, perhaps look for a ROM board on eBay (a Bytesaver or the
like), and burn yourself a ROM.

For a serial card, you can find T-UART or IMSAI MIO and the like show up
on eBay pretty frequently.  Be patient so you don't overpay. ;)   Real
MITS Altair cards come up far less frequently.  Make sure you research
(say, on bitsavers.org/pdf) which ones support current loop if you
really want to hook up a real teletype.

Not sure where you'd find your multi-user basic, but there is quite a
lot of Altair/S100 software available as part of the SimH environment,
and a separate web site at http://schorn.ch/altair_6.php

JRJ