Time to dig out some of my DEC XX2247 keys

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Jul 15 20:03:36 CDT 2015

On 07/15/2015 05:39 PM, Ali wrote:

> Maybe on the DEC keys but trying to make a key for an IBM lock proved
> impossible (i.e. make a key from the lock - not copy a key). Most
> lock smith I talked to said they did not do that kind of work.

Sure, and there are locks for which blanks are not available.  I ran
into that with a bit of Mitsubishi gear--I had a loaned key and went
around town trying to get a duplicate for myself.  Initially, the
reaction was "sure, no problem" and then the oddball key dimensions sunk
in.  I ended up removing the lock--it was simply easiest.

But it sounds as if these XX2247 keys aren't particularly rare, nor are
they beyond the possibility of duplication.

--Chuck