Reproducing old machines with newer technology (Re: PDP-12 at the RICM)

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Wed Jul 15 12:48:54 CDT 2015

Lots of machines supported variable length operands (like the machine
you reference in the link, IBM S/360, Burroughs, etc. etc.  However,
machines with variable length instructions not split into any kind of
word boundary are not as common.

This isn't about whether a machine was good or bad / worse or better /
or even level of historical interest.  Just whether or not it was
interesting - in particular interesting to me.  If the CDC machines like
that interest you, by all means have at them.  ;)

I note that, there isn't enough information in that manual to do what I
plan to do for the IBM 1410 - reproduce the actual machine logic.
Compare/contrast what you referred to to the documents at:

http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/ibm/1410/drawings/