OT: Pentium processor sizes

Sean Caron scaron at umich.edu
Fri Jul 10 15:43:26 CDT 2015

If this is an old P5 Pentium, IIRC, it was the same CPU whether you were in
a laptop or a desktop. I remember many of those early Pentium laptops; they
ran incredibly hot and the battery life on them was just awful ...
Depending on a myriad of factors ... whether or not your particular
laptop's logic board has a socketed CPU; whether or not that laptop's
planar allows you to tune the clock rate, divider, voltage etc. beyond just
the stock settings; whether you've got an appropriate CPU on hand; there is
a remote possibility it could be done ... That said, I would expect your
chances to be better on a crummy "generic" laptop from that era; in my
experience, laptops from the major vendors were more highly integrated ...
there was more customization of i.e. the logic board and it's less likely
that the logic board allows any variance from the stock configuration ...
the "generic" laptops were a little more COTS-y and may be more amenable to
modification although they tend to be less portable and not so well built.

Best,

Sean