A 'good-enough' H960 |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| PDP11 masthead replica

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Fri Jul 10 10:48:30 CDT 2015

> On Jul 9, 2015, at 9:21 PM, steven at malikoff.com wrote:
>
> Wow, I wake up and you blokes on the other side of the world have been busy during the night working at getting a bunch of details for me :)
> Thanks Barry, Pete, Paul, Noel, Bill, Adam for your responses - the measurements and photos are exactly what I need. I'll go through them in
> detail soon and adjust the drawing.
>
> Paul: I will revisit the postscript file and fix up mine from it. There's a reason I try to avoid splines in my CAD drawings, a long time ago
> I did DXFs for laser cutting some keyrings (see http://web.aanet.com.au/~malikoff/jeep/keyring) using splines. The cutter operator replaced
> them with arcs owing to their software not being able to process it properly. Since then I've avoided splines for any drawing I do that has a
> chance of being exported as a DXF (or SVG for that matter) that is to be fed to a CNC device.

Wow, it’s amazing that a device like that would be bothered by splines.  It speaks to the lack of competence on the part of the implementer.  Perhaps this problem dates back to the dark old ages of first generation cutters and has been cured by now?  If not, you can approximate things with arcs, but for it to look reasonably close to correct you need more short arcs than you have now.

> I'll also follow up on your observation about the variations in the handbooks font, I'm sure I'll find them on bitsavers.

Not on bitsavers as far as I know (though Al is welcome to place a copy there if he wants to do so).  But you can find it on John Wilson’s site, at http://www.dbit.com/pub/misc/handbook.ttf

	paul