email gripe

Sean Conner spc at conman.org
Tue Jul 7 20:06:33 CDT 2015

It was thus said that the Great jwsmobile once stated:

> On 7/7/2015 12:43 PM, Sean Conner wrote:
> >It was thus said that the Great jwsmobile once stated:
> >>sending live URL's in the text that don't require a multi step copy
> >>paste, or even save email edit, feed to lynx would be nice.  Html email
> >>does that.
> >   There are some on this list (such as I) that do not use a graphical
> >   email
> >client, but a text-mode email  client. [1]
> >
> >   -spc (And the etiquette for this list is inline or bottom posting, not
> >	top)
> >
> >[1]	To even look at a attached PDF, for example, I have to save it
> >	first, then download it to view it.
> Most of us have either browser embedded PDF viewers, or Adobe associated
> with PDF's and are one click away.

  True enough.  But I've tried using a GUI to check email and frankly, I
found it too painful to use.  It wasn't that the GUI was confusing or
inconsistent, but that it was *way too slow*.  Sluggish to display, and
painfully slow to download (it's not unusual for me to receive everal
hundred emails per day).  By checking email on the server using a command
line tool, I can do the filtering upon receipt (not when downloading) and
blast through two emails in the time it would take a GUI to display one.

  Right now, I'm using an iPad (and a Bluetooth keyboard) with an SSH client
to check my email.  I get to use an email client I'm familiar with for
reading, along with my preferred editor to write this email.

> >	Yes, I do check my email on the server using a command line program
> >	[2].
> >
> >[2]	mutt.  I was forced to upgrade a decade ago because elm was no
> >	longer maintained and non-Y2K compliant (I think that's why I
> >	switched).
> >

> I just don't see inconveniencing an entire list because a few people
> want to run on internet connected 286 machines, with attached ASR33's.

  I think  that's only Tony who does that.

> As far as email browsing, I have used thunderbird and prior to that the
> same facility in the combined netscape.  The way of all emails seem to
> be towards letting some great and wonderful company such as your ISP,
> Google, Yahoo, or heaven forbid AOL keep all of your email, and present
> it, and even thunderbird has gone into "we don't support it anymore"
> status with Firefox.
>
> So archiving my own email may end up in the same state as your argument
> for text archiving.

  Did I mention I run my own email  sever?

> However the format of the email won't be an issue
> in my case.

  Would that be HTML?  HTML 2?  HTML 3?  HTML 3.2?  HTML 4? HTML 5?

  -spc (Or even XHTML?)