out-of-mainstream minis

Christian Gauger-Cosgrove captainkirk359 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 19:20:20 CDT 2015

On 3 July 2015 at 16:48, Mike Ross <tmfdmike at gmail.com> wrote:
> I do difficult propositions, including prying pdps away from the cold
> dead hands of the British ministry of defence! So tell more? You can
> reach me off-list at this address.

My information was slightly incorrect. It appears that there is more
than one 1ESS/1AESS still around, but they are being replaced quite
speedily. (Also sending you a mail real quick off list.)

> I had been told that the System/7s were part of the billing system,
> rather than the switch itself. My info may be defective, but that's
> what I was told; one per exchange. I believe I have some doc referring
> to that application.

Ahh, yeah I don't know much about the billing system. My main interest
is the switching machines. I know that WECo used some DEC PDP systems
in some of their interesting experimental work. Prime examples being
the COSMIC automated system for managing MDFs. And I believe a PDP-8/e
was used as an experimental replacement for the card translator of the
#4A toll crossbars before the "proper" 4A-ETS came out (I think they
also used an 8/e in managing Dimond ring translators).

But that's beyond the scope of interesting non-mainstream minis.

Cheers,
Christian
--
Christian M. Gauger-Cosgrove