How many use old browsers (e.g. =< Netscape 4 or IE 6) as their ONLY source of web content?

Terry Stewart terry at webweavers.co.nz
Thu Jul 2 17:26:35 CDT 2015

Hi,

I'm engaged in a Retrochallenge project where I'm recoding my
classic-computers.org.nz site to make it suitable for mobile platforms.  I
want to modernise the code as well, making it as close to HTML5 standard as
I can

The RetroChallenge blog site is here.
http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/2015-06-29-recoding-classic-computers.org.nz.htm
.

In doing this, I will probably need to say goodbye to old browser
compatibility.  As in old I mean Netscape 4 or earlier, and other pre-2000
browsers (and possibly IE 6, as it's not very standard).

The website does have a few articles and resources of interest to vintage
computer hobbyists, which I wouldn't want to make inaccessible. The
question is, how many guys like us, those who dabble with old tech, are
likely to use ancient browsers as their ONLY source of web content.  I
suspect not many.  Should I worry about it?  Any comments welcome.

On a related note, I'd be interested if anyone on the list CAN'T read this
page properly:
http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/temp.html

It's a new blog page template I've developed using HTML5 and is mobile
friendly.  If it doesn't show up properly I'll be interested to know what
browser you're using.

Please be kind about the HTML5 and CCS code.  I don't do this for a job,
and it's a big learning curve for me.

P.S. Here are some interesting stats. For myself, I've been a Chrome user
for a number of years now.

Terry (Tez)