SIMH DG Nova and real serial port

jwsmobile jws at jwsss.com
Sat Jan 31 05:39:47 CST 2015

On 1/31/2015 2:56 AM, shadoooo wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm developing a system similar to VTserver for PDP11, but for DG Nova
> machines.
> The system uses a serial console connection and a Python back-end on
> the PC.
> Now I need to debug the binary code developed for the Nova, but I have
> to do it on
> an emulated machine on a PC.
> In other words, I would need to use SIMH connected to a real serial
> port: is it possible?
> Thanks
> Andrea
If you get the patch to work with SIMH to a tty port, Vmware ESXI server
supports connecting the emulated serial ports of two virtual machines
together.

What I have rigged for many test setups if one machine running the
simulation out to what is a serial port on the emulated guest. Usually
use linux, as it is easier to see the real status of the serial ports
with Linux.

I then run the other guest with one of its serial ports connected to the
first guest's serial port.

i usually use a copy of a system called Pick which has serial ports for
expansion.  It runs as one guest on the vmesxi system.  It can support 2
serial ports, connected to another machine.

I then have a copy of linux running in another guest.  I can use minicom
to connect to the Pick system remotely, since Pick only supports
connectivity via the console / keyboard and serial, no network stack.

Hope this might help.  You won't have to experiment or debug on any
vintage hardware till you have it working on SIMH.

Jim