RF Shield for the A1200 Needed

Chris Elmquist chrise at pobox.com
Tue Jan 20 12:53:25 CST 2015

On Tuesday (01/20/2015 at 05:21PM +0000), Peter Corlett wrote:
> The original purpose of the shield is
> presumably to satisfy 1980s-era FCC emissions rules preventing stomping over
> HF, but that boat has *long* sailed and HF is just a wasteground now.

Ummm.  No.  Speaking as both an Extra Class amateur operator active
on HF and an electrical engineer developing embedded system products
that must comply with the law, the boat has not sailed and HF is not a
wasteground by any stretch of the imagination.

> (Here in EU-land, we never needed to give a damn about FCC regulations
> even back then.)

Effectiveness of the shield being discussed aside, FCC part 15 absolutely
still requires testing across the HF spectrum and up to 1 GHz.  If the
device will be used in a residential environment then you must submit your
test results from a certified test house to the FCC for filing.

In the EU, unintentional radiator emissions are governed by IEC, TC77,
CISPR and ISO and devices need CE certification and labeling. The rules
are far more strict than those in the US.

See eg,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_EMC_directives

So, quite a number of people still care.

Chris N0JCF
--
Chris Elmquist