Operating systems of the 1970s handling dates beyond the year 2000

John Wilson wilson at dbit.com
Mon Jan 19 11:18:24 CST 2015

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 10:11:56AM -0500, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>If I had more time to expend, I could look at ITS too... :-(

My recollection is that the year is a 9-bit field and starts at 1900, so it
bombs out in 2412.  But I forget whether I'm talking about the disk format
or the OS internal clock.  I liked whichever memo described the KS10
internal hardware clock (4.1 MHz x 72 bits maybe?  I forget) which wraps
around "every four million years", or something like that.  SOME number of
millions of years.  Not that it becomes useless then, but just that it
wraps around for the first of many times, so keep an eye open when the
time comes.

John Wilson
D Bit