Subject: Knowledge Base

Jay West jwest at classiccmp.org
Fri Jan 16 07:32:32 CST 2015

Marc wrote....
----
[snip] Thank you Jay and others for doing this and contributing a
professional grade infrastructure.
----
Most welcome - but it's not just me. There's a lot of folks who help.

----
 The wiki is an idea, but an alternative that I wish would exist is a
repository for restoration logs. [snip]
----
The conversation makes things come back to me from old memory :) Now that I
think about it - that was the primary "con" thought that most listmembers
had about a "wiki". It basically competed with the mailing list as a
resource and many of the folks here weren't going to go "graphical" so it
would just result in a fracture/fork and dilution of the community. As a
result, we went with a "Knowledge Base" package for pretty much the exact
reasons you list in your post. The one we had used was "Andy's PHP Knowledge
Base".

I would be happy to try it again if listmembers would agree to substantially
contribute. The only thing worse than not having one is having one that
doesn't really have great content (and I'm positive the listmembers have
great content to contribute).

The only criteria I'd have from my side is that it be php/mysql based. We do
have a flock of windows servers in the infrastructure, but I'd prefer if it
was FAMP based.

I haven't seen where the development of Andy's package has gone over the
years, so I'd appreciate any suggestions folks may have as to a good
php/mysql knowledge base type of package.

I personally like the idea of a knowledgebase, but as Marc says - it'd be
nice to have a place for people to post their restoration logs. Many people
do this on their own sites and it's a great thing but I'm sure many people
(me included) generally don't have the time to create an entire site to post
the progress of each restoration project. Maybe if something in this site
would allow easy subsection creation ("John Smiths PDP7 restoration
project") that could be of help to both restorers and interested people
wanting to learn. There is a site for people restoring/customizing Jon boats
that I've spent a lot of time on where each person can create their own
section documenting their restoration project. That type of thing would be a
great resource here in addition to a "knowledge base".

Let me know if there's interest. Thoughts?