Announcing TCP/IP for RSX-11M-PLUS

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Wed Jan 14 02:44:07 CST 2015

On 2015-01-14 05:54, Mike Ross wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 12:40 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
>
>> Well, it's been a long time project, but I'm happy to finally announce a
>> more public initial release of TCP/IP for RSX-11M-PLUS.
>>

> Amazing and very cool! Gives me immediate motivation to build an 11/70 with
> one of my QED boardsets. Goal: webserver running proper DEC OS with proper
> blinkenlights :-)

Yes. We actually have that at Update, in form of a real PDP-11/70 with
this code installed. However, the machine is down much of the time at
the moment because of the cooling system needing to be fixed. (It's been
this way for years, but we are making slow progress on it.)

>> The TCP/IP stack itself only comes in binary form.
>>

> Ahhh. That will give a lot of people pause for thought, and, some will
> probably say, might be a distraction from the achievement itself. I trust
> you know what you're doing :-)

Well, you already have most of the sources, as everything except the
device drivers comes with sources.
But I'm going to make the last bits available as well, but it's not
going to be super easy for someone to work on, or modify those parts. It
will be more like a snapshot of my build system.

And building the whole distribution takes about 1.5h on a real 11/93
with modern disks.

But for people who actually wants to read several hundred K of
MACRO-11... Here is your chance... :-)

	Johnny