Restoring a Compaq Portable

David Griffith dgriffi at cs.csubak.edu
Wed Jan 14 00:03:22 CST 2015

In my further adventures in restoring a Compaq Portable, I have these
problems:

1) Missing brightness knob.  Solution: I posted earlier about this.  A few
people in #classiccmp think they may have one.

2) Capacitive disks under the keys are rotten.  Solution:
http://www.retrotechnology.com/restore/sol_keys.html sounds good, except
I'll use 3M 77 spray.

3) I can't get the keyboard to respond at all.  I tried touching the
capacitive pads with bare fingers, anti-static bag material, etc.
Nothing works.  Solution: I don't know.  I suspect the scan driver and/or
the sense amp chips may be bad.  These are Exar 22-950-3B (sense driver)
and 22-908-93A (sense amp).  Does anyone here know a decent source of
these and/or data sheets?

--
David Griffith
dgriffi at cs.csubak.edu