Restoration technique [Was: Re: Bay Area: IBM 4341 and HP3000]

Robert Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Mon Jan 12 15:03:16 CST 2015

HP3000]

> On 01/12/2015 08:53 PM, tony duell wrote:
> > Actually, a lot of things are not easy to learn. I fact I struggle to
> > think of anything worthwhile that is.
>
> Well, perhaps my choice of word wasn't the best. I certainly didn't mean
to say
> that the subject matter should be made "easy". Computer restoration is
> challenging and difficult, I acknowledge that. What I wanted was to make
the
> subject more approachable.
>
> > Hang on. I post here. I write repair articles for HPCC. Every year I
> > give a talk at HPCC on the internals of some old HP device (last time
> > it was the HP11305 disk controller for the HP9830, something that it
> > is not easy to find technical info on [1]). What more do you want?
> > (Said with tongue firmly in cheek).
>
> :) And I try to read (and understand) most of what you write, even if it's
not
> directly related to what I collect. What is this HPCC that you
>
> > I have often thought about writing a more general 'book' on classic
> > computer repair but it either ends up far too trivial (explaining
> > gates and flipflops and linear PSUs,) or very machine-specific.
>
> When I think more about it. I think I want a book that guides me through
> restoration of computers from digital between 1970 and 1980, since that is
my
> main interest. I realize that a book about restoring micros from
> 1980 and onwards would be a very different book.
>
> Still, I don't think either of those books exist.
>
> Regards,
> Pontus.

I know we are mostly old curmudgeons around here (including me!), and I very
much like my printed books, but perhaps technology could come to the rescue
here.

It wouldn't be hard to create a wiki where this kind of information is
collected, rather than distributed all over a mailing list. And, with many
hands, the work is much lighter. Perhaps a bit idealistic, but the idea
*could* fly if there was enough critical mass. I can imagine sections on
general techniques and then on particular brands and machines, and there
wouldn't need to be a restriction on subject matter in terms of periods in
history or other dimensions, just whatever people are able to contribute. I
can also imagine edit wars if there is disagreement about something (eg
capacitor reforming), but we could try to be civilised and present the
differing opinions in that case.

Isn't there someone on the list who has been offering lots of server
capacity? It could be hosted there.

Regards

Rob