3.5" floppy failure mode? Hub not attched to media.

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 16:44:51 CST 2015

On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 10:57 AM, Chuck Guzis <cclist at sydex.com> wrote:
> Without attempting this yourself and relating your own experience, how can
> you verify this belief?

Using algebra and geometry it is readily apparent that as little as
0.1 mm of centering error will cause problems. I don't have to do any
experiment to determine that.

Whether the hub reattachment is self-centering to within 0.1 mm is
another question which I don't have an answer to. I rather doubt it,
as there was no reason to engineer it to self-center to any
significantly better tolerance than needed to ensure that the medium
doesn't hit the edges of the casing. However, not having done any
experiment or analysis of that aspect I'll readily concede that
there's some chance that it's good enough.