cap replacement policies / was Re: VT101 8085 CPU Fault

Rod Smallwood rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 24 12:35:58 CST 2015

I was working for DEC from 1973 onwards. I am mostly familiar with the
manufacture of the VT and LA terminals.
I think they tested all of the active devices and batch tested the
passives.

Once assembled the individual boards were given a resistive test (power
off) before a full power up diagnostic test.
Failures went to manual rework and rejoined the queue at the resistive
stage.
Third party and DEC branded (but subcontractor built) items where 100%
tested on load.

In a lot of VT terminals the tube and its drive electronics (Mainly Ball
Bros manufactured)  were tested and rejects went
back whence they came.

All of this meant the vast majority of terminals came alive on switch
on.  But that wasn't the end of it.
With systems shipping world wide the cost of warranty and having the
right people and parts in the right place  was a big issue.
They found out that the field failure rate was linked to the factory
burn in time failure rate.
So by tweaking the burn in time they could control the field failure rate.

Yes DEC made reliable systems because it cost them less in the end.