Pascal not considered harmful - was Re: Rich kids are into COBOL

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ca
Thu Feb 19 20:46:13 CST 2015

>> Of course, I started writing FORTRAN on an 029 keypunch..
>
> That wasn't very good practice, was it?  Write on a coding form (or paper),
> then punch, run an 80-80 list on a 407 and hand check, correct and then
> submit.

Heh.  High school correspondence course.  Fortran. 66.  Coding sheets.  I
hate coding sheets.

But I am so much smarter than the rest.  I have an account on the
university Amdahl/470, with both Fortran G *and* H!  So I will just write
and debug my code there, then punch a deck and submit it in the mail.  Am
I cool or what?!?

How was *I* to know the poor bastards on the receiving end needed
026-punched cards :-P

--lyndon