Pascal not considered harmful - was Re: Rich kids are into COBOL

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 19:20:12 CST 2015

I was introduced to Pascal in a high-school AP computer science course ca.
1986. It was a real eye-opener, and seemed quite powerful after only using
BASIC and the occasional chunks of borrowed 6502 ASM.

Personally, I thought it was an excellent teaching language - at least for
HS students in the late 1980s. I really enjoyed learning to use it - though
as someone who'd had almost ten years' time with BASIC, I found the
emphasis on recursive (sub-)routines to be a bit difficult to grasp.
Something about it just seemed... kludge-y. But functions were a very
welcome addition..

Of course, I've forgotten it all!