DEC MKA11 and/or M8261/M8163

Paul Birkel pbirkel at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 12:14:09 CST 2015

Thanks Eric.  That might explain how I came into possession of one M8162
module.  The 11/74 never entered my mind because encountering even a piece
of one of those is ... unlikely :->.  Using up unsold inventory makes
sense; I guess that an MKA11 wouldn't function without a full complement of
modules, even if some serve no real purpose.

I've looked more closely at the pair of top-edge connectors (the ones like
the 20ma SLU connectors).  Each have 6-of-8 pins wired *thru* a 1K 1%
resistor to a separate pin on tab F.  So there are twelve lines running to
tab F, with resistors in series, and nothing else on those paths.

The rest of the module is a mix of S and LS SSI chips, and a couple of what
appear to be multi-tap delay lines, plus 5 diagnostic LEDs (unlabeled).

Would the KB11-CM have had special cabling to connect in this manner for
out-of-band signaling, and then why series resistors (rather than, e.g.,
pull-ups for an OC line driver)?