imitation game movie

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Feb 11 00:38:59 CST 2015

On 02/10/2015 09:56 PM, Jon Elson wrote:

> Oh, absolutely!  There was a lot of work on using ferrite rings as storage
> and logic elements at that time, but Forrester and Papian really
> extended what had been done before, and the coincident current
> scheme was really ELEGANT and made large arrays of fast memory
> practical.  The bigger you built the array, the more memory you got
> with small increments in the number of drivers.

Didn't coincident-current relays come before that (as used, for example,
in telephone switching equipment)?  So the basic idea was there.

I've always been fascinated by magnetic core logic; both using "hard"
magnetics (e.g. Univac SS) and "soft" (e.g. Parametrons).  I wonder if
magnetic core for memory hadn't been developed, would we have developed
electrostatic or some other technology to the same density?

Would we have developed ultra-fast recirculating memory?

--Chuck