imitation game movie

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Tue Feb 10 11:23:20 CST 2015

On 02/10/2015 08:39 AM, William Donzelli wrote:
> I have not seen the movie, but I will warn that Enigma
> people are almost as nutty as the Tesla fanboys. There are
> a *lot* of misconceptions and misinformation out there.
OK, my only comment to that is the stuff that says "Turing
was THE father of the computer, period, full stop."
Note the singular.

What about Charles Babbage and (Augusta) Ada Byron?  How can
you leave them out?
How about John von Neumann?  Geez, I think he really ranks
above Turing, at least
as far as building real machines.  Turing sure contributed a
LOT of really important
theoretical underpinnings, no way to doubt that.  But, this
singular THE father stuff,
really makes me steam.

Jon