11/23 clock issue

Tothwolf tothwolf at concentric.net
Fri Feb 6 23:23:18 CST 2015

On Fri, 6 Feb 2015, Noel Chiappa wrote:

>    > From: Tothwolf
>
>    >> Sigh, the crystal output is dead as a doornail. Total flat-line. Guess
>    >> I'm going to have to find a new one...
>
>    > Does it have to be exactly 13MHz for the system to function correctly?
>    > I have some Fox brand 13.824MHz oscillators
>
> Actually, they are exactly 13.824MHz on the 11/23, too. Must be a
> standard speed...
>
>    > in my parts cabinets that were leftovers from something back in the mid
>    > 90s (probably modem R&D).
>
> Oh, this may be totally fantastic. I spent a chunk of time today looking
> for a replacement, and so far, no luck. So you may really be a
> life-saver.
>
> A generic search for 13.824MHz crystals turned up a whole bunch of SMD
> parts, and a few of what I think are actual crystals (two leads), but
> none of those self-contained DIP oscillator units.
>
> I have a couple of 11/23 cards, and although the DIP oscillators on them
> are from a number of different manufacturers, they all have the same
> number on them: "18-12131-00", which must be some standard part number.
> So I tried looking for that, and all I found were a couple of those
> part-finder services. So, just for grins, I asked three of them for
> quotes. Only one replied, and they couldn't find them.
>
> So if you've got some of the DIP oscillator units, that'd be a
> life-saver. I'll contact you off-list to work out the logistics? Thanks!

Before I forget again, did you check for +5V on pin 1 (enable) when you
were testing your existing oscillator?

I've posted a photo of the oscillators I have here (url munged so this
email won't be dropped by classiccmp's spam filter):

http://strudel.ignorelist [dot] com/~tothwolf/classiccmp/Fox_F5C-2_13.824MHz.jpg

The tops are a little scratched since they were in a plastic parts cabinet
drawer when I got them, and I've never gotten around to tracking down
tubes to store them in. For that fact, anyone know of a source for
oscillator tubes for free/cheap? (They are slightly larger then standard
DIP tubes.) I have 100s of random oscillators I'd love to store in tubes
instead of small plastic bags/drawers.