Radio Shack

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Fri Feb 6 13:59:55 CST 2015

I seem to recall reading within the last month or three, somebody's opinion where they took the total number of Arduinos reported to have ever been sold, estimated the total revenue of all of them, contrasted that against the vastly larger annual revenue of the ailing Radio Shack, and concluded that the maker movement just isn't large enough to have made a difference in Radio Shack's survival even if Radio Shack was the movement's sole supplier. As much as many of us (including me!) lament the passing of the old local source for electronic components, I've seen plausible arguments that component sales have never been a large percentage of the revenue that kept Radio Shack store doors open.

Well anyway, I hope that I can talk my coworkers into stopping by the nearest RS store at lunchtime today to see if it's still open and whether it's gone into clearance mode.

I also plan to visit the RS near my home tomorrow. They had some neat hobby stuff when I was there a couple weeks ago, so maybe I should plunder it if it's on sale. :)

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/