Incandescent lights [Re: It's time to restore the 11/45.]

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri Feb 6 11:58:43 CST 2015

On Fri, Feb 06, 2015 at 07:05:10AM +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
[...]
> LED lighting is actually delivering what the CFLs falsely claimed, provided
> one doesn't need more than about 400lm per bulb due to heat issues. For the
> customary single bulb per room in typical UK lighting, it means we're stuck
> with CFLs until the technology improves or one replaces the light fitting
> with one that takes multiple bulbs. We'll probably see a whole load of crappy
> LED bulbs when that finally becomes mainstream though.

I'm going to retract this paragraph as I happened to be in Ryness earlier, and
got to check out the 2015 range which included 1600lm LED bulbs at a not
completely outrageous price. Sadly, the only high-power ones they stock have a
colour temperature of 2700K, aka "is this thing on?" for those of us who are
severely red-green colourblind, and I got grunted at in the usual London
Customer Service style when I asked if they had any in 6500K and was informed I
would have to buy a CFL.

Anyway, given that 1600lm LED bulbs exist, and 6500K LED bulbs exist, one that
does both must surely exist. Now if only I could figure out where to buy
a few...