Copper (Was: 10 forgotten wonders of 1980s homes

Geoffrey Oltmans oltmansg at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 14:17:35 CST 2015

On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 1:59 PM, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:

> I haven't see aluminum-rated devices in hardware stores in many years.  Be
> careful: typically they will be labeled either as "copper only" or as
> "CU/AL".  But that doesn't mean "copper or aluminum" -- it means you're
> allowed to user copper-clad aluminum.  That's a hack type of wire that was
> adopted for a while after the plain aluminum was discovered to be a Very
> Bad Idea.  It's not quite as bad but there is really no justification for
> its existence, and indeed it is no longer the current practice.
> Copper-clad aluminum can be used with copper without much trouble, but the
> wire is thicker and it breaks more easily.

Hmm... if this is to be believed then you can use these for aluminum
wiring...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-15-Amp-Duplex-CO-ALR-Outlet-Ivory-R51-12650-00I/100357026

"CO/ALR switches and outlets are required anywhere aluminum wiring has been
installed."

Although I agree with you... I wouldn't want to knowingly sign up for a
house with aluminum wiring because improperly repairing the wiring could
result in just as much fire risk as if you didn't do any repairs at all.