The KGB, the Computer, and Me

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 23:23:17 CST 2015

On 12/29/15 10:14 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
> On 12/29/2015 06:24 PM, Ray Arachelian wrote:
>> On 12/28/2015 04:45 AM, Rod Smallwood wrote:
>>> I now expect to get a long list of weveseenits.
>> Indeed!
>>
>> I remember seeing this on live TV many years ago.  You can find it on
>> youtube now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcKxaq1FTac
>>
>> The book is really good too:
>> http://www.amazon.com/Cuckoos-Egg-Tracking-Computer-Espionage/dp/1416507787/
>>

> The book is totally amazing!  I've rarely read anything by a scientist
> that is quite so well-written!
> Of course, I was interested in the topic, but Cliff Stoll writes very
> well.  it reads like a thriller.
>
> Jon
Just finished reading the book this morning. In addition to being a
thrilling read, it's packed with 80's tech cultural references and quite
a bit of historical vignettes. It's amazing how much has changed in the
security realm and yet so little. Back then the same "make the passwords
too hard and folks put 'em on stickies" vs "make them easy and they can
be guessed" arguments we hear today. The video tied things together for
me quite a bit on the what did things look like back then and was fun.
The logic analyzer is something I've never seen in operation (I'm
obviously not an EE), I looked on Ebay and the B model is available for
less than $300 bucks, no telling if it works.

Will