PDP-12 Restoration at the RICM

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Thu Dec 24 13:22:38 CST 2015

On 12/24/2015 9:59 AM, Michael Thompson wrote:

> We have been able to fix all types of broken flip-chips. Sourcing the
> components is sometimes a challenge. The Germanium transistors for the TU20
> on the PDP-9 were hard to find.

I remember replacing a germanium (at least I think it was) transistor on
an SMS card with an ordinary silicon transistor in a 7094-II floating
point unit back around 1974.  Luckily, that worked fine, though for a
museum I imagine one would prefer to use the "real thing".  ;)

>>> We found that the maintenance prints that came with the system do not
>>> include ECO EM12-0055.
>>> Does anyone have a set of KW12 prints that include ECO EM12-0055?
>>

> The prints that came with this PDP-12 are here:
> http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/dec/pdp12/maintenance/DEC-12-HR2B-D_PDP-12_Maintenance_Manual_Volume_2_Installation_and_Maintenance_Jun72.pdf

???  That document is not prints.  I suspect you meant:

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/dec/pdp12/maintenance/DEC-12-HR1B-D_PDP-12_Maintenance_Manual_Volume_III_System_Drawings_Jun72.pdf

Which is the same revision as mine.  (I see that the 1969 edition is
also there, but under the name PDP12-MaintVol3_SchemsMar69.pdf).

> Jay, we are interested in anything PDP-12 related that we don't have.

Eventually I expect I will, over the next few years, scan in everything
that is not already on bitsavers, but it looks like your current needs
have been met.

> The PDP-12 is described here:
> http://www.ricomputermuseum.org/Home/equipment/dec-pdp-12
>
> Details on the PDP-12 restoration process are here:
> http://www.ricomputermuseum.org/Home/equipment/dec-pdp-12/dec-pdp-12-restoration

JRJ