dumping Western Digital Microms (PDP-11, WD16, Pascal Microengine)

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 12:23:01 CST 2015

On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 8:08 AM, Glen Slick <glen.slick at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think you meant 16702A here as the 16701A is the expansion
> mainframe.

You're correct. 16702A.

> Assuming you are using 10BT for the network connection, do
> you have the terminator cap installed on the 10B2 BNC jack? I think
> some things don't work right with the 16700A/16702A network without
> that terminator cap installed.

Thanks for the suggestion!

There's a black cap over the 10base2 connector, which apparently has
never been removed. I just removed it, with surprising difficulty. I'll
scrounge a terminator and try again, though it wasn't necessary the
last time I used the 16702A on the Ethernet.

As HP-UX boots, it says something to the effect that the network was
disabled on the previous boot, but will be enabled. However, the logic
analyzer software says something to the effect that the network interface
isn't available, and the controls to change the network settings are all
greyed out.

It occurred to me that the analyzer might not successfully autonegotiate
on a port on a 1000baseT switch, so it's now plugged into a 100baseT
switch instead, but not working any better. I don't have a 10baseT switch
or hub at hand to try.