Design tools Was: Mystery IC: Allen Bradley 314B102

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Sat Dec 19 12:12:54 CST 2015

> On Dec 19, 2015, at 10:33 AM, Todd Goodman <tsg at bonedaddy.net> wrote:
>
> * Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu> [151218 17:38]:
>>> From: Brent Hilpert
>>
>>> I need to move to something newer but I haven't evaluated current
>>> schematic-drawing programs
>>
>> Dave Bridgham got me started with KiCAD, and that seems like a pretty good
>> system to me. It has separate sub-systems for schematic capture; circuitry
>> checking; netlist generation; PCB layout; etc, etc. I've only worked with the
>> first three, but it seemed pretty good for them....
>
> Not to mention it's open source so if you don't like the control you
> have you can always change it as desired.

Thanks for the pointers, I'm going to check those out.  I've been a user (occasional user) of Eagle CAD for years now.  It's a pretty good program; the only thing I've missed is split planes.  Perhaps those have been added more recently, I haven't looked.

Some years ago I ran into an open source PCB layout program that had an interesting approach to routing, yielding curvy looking traces instead of the more typical straight lines and corners.  Forgot the name, will see if I can find it again.

	paul