IBM Mainframe terminal stuff

Mike Ross tmfdmike at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 21:01:29 CST 2015

I've just repaired my 3277 which had lain idle for Goddess knows how
long - decades possibly.

I stripped, cleaned, and inspected it. I found a loose capacitor - one
of the tiny black rectangular ones - lying in the bottom of the thing.

I found out where it came from on the analog board and put a new one in.

Powered it up slowly on the variac. Nada. Flyback wasn't getting power
but all PSU voltages checked out ok.

Then I found the PSU wiring on the analog board - those edge
connectors - was bad; the connector was aged brittle plastic and had
cracked. I bodged a fix for that, tried again, and it came right up.

When I powered it down, I couldn't get it back up again initially...
found I could manage it by dialing the variac back down to the point
where the screen started to roll, then bringing it back up again. The
whole thing was very flaky. Left it running for several hours and now
it's fine; powers right up and comes online every time - touch wood!
Guess the capacitors needed time to settle down. But I agree, not one
of IBM's more impressive products - and that squares with what I've
heard from others too.

Here's mine running: http://www.corestore.org/3277up.jpg

I've got another one coming next week - this one in much nicer
cosmetic condition complete with all the panels - the one I have is
'naked'. This will leave me with two (hopefully) working 3277s but
only one keyboard between them; the new one is coming without a
keyboard - anyone got a spare? And no the 3278/3279 keyboards will NOT
work.

Mike