Decisions you regret (classiccmp related)

Paxton Hoag innfoclassics at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 21:13:20 CST 2015

I have two big regrets (lots of little ones). the first was a Litton 1251 I
got in the early 1980s for $25 from the State of Oregon. 5 2X3' components,
control, printer, tape reader/ punch and two 200K drum memory units. Played
with for a while and scrapped it when aluminum was bringing 80 cents per
pound in the late 1980s. Did inventory for the state but all I could get it
to do was printout ASCII art. Replaced it with a Xerox 820.

The second big regret was scrapping an Alto in the early 90s. I just didn't
recognize it and let it go to scrap. It was part of a large lot we got from
Intel in 91 0r 92 that included lots of development systems, II, III, IV.
In that lot were an Alto and a Tektronix Magnolia which I didn't recognize
till years later. Without skins they were difficult to identify and the
Alto terminal was so strange. I was more interested in the 8 Xerox 8010
Dandelions in the lot......and the intel development systems. When I
finally saw a picture of an Alto  I realized we had the complete system.

Paxton Hoag
Astoria, OR
USA