What did computers without screens do?

William Donzelli wdonzelli at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 17:58:16 CST 2015

I am starting to think that the age of the PDP-8 is finally coming to
a close. The last bastion of PDP-8ness - controlling machine tools and
industrial processes - well, think about that. When was the last time
you *actually* *saw* a PDP-8 in production doing this? The US has very
little left in the way of machine shops. They have mostly all closed
up and moved to China, and the ones that survive do so because they
upgraded their machines so their productivity can trump the Chinese
currency imbalance.

I was at HGR recently, and asked about machine tools and PDP-8s, and
the salesman said it has been years since they have seen that stuff.
What is coming out now is basically 1980s technology, at the oldest.
Most of what they see is 1990s and 2000s.

Yes, there are probably a *very* few PDP-8s still out there, but I
think that population number is approaching single digits.

Here is a challenge - show me a real PDP-8 (or clone) still in active
service. I want real evidence, not hearsay. I think it would be great
if they were still out there, doing their thing, but I am very
skeptical.

--
Will