mail hosting

Tony Aiuto tony.aiuto at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 16:02:36 CST 2015

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 2:53 PM, Al Kossow <aek at bitsavers.org> wrote:

> On 12/10/15 8:47 AM, ethan at 757.org wrote:
>
> Self hosted mail systems for the win.
>>

> Sadly, I'm seeing more and more organizations abandoning hosting their own
> mail
> servers (and mailing lists) because it has become too much of a PITA to
> keep spam / being blacklisted
> under control.

It is not just spam they have to worry about. Corporations have concerns
related to security, backup, availability, retention for litigation,
automatic deletion, transfer of ownership...  Too few IT departments
actually do this well.

> CHM is in the process of shutting down all of their mailing lists because
> the IT people
> don't want to support them any more. The radio station I volunteer for
> (KFJC) trying to
> decide if it's worth doing it themselves or just having Google do it :-(
>
> So much for Mailman list archives :-(

Google groups will archive forever. I believe you can migrate old messages
into a new group, but it might require some scripting to extract and load.
https://developers.google.com/admin-sdk/groups-migration/v1/guides/manage-email-migrations

Personally, I used to mail, mailing list, DNS and web from servers in my
home. Every time I went on a trip, something would break and I had to talk
a 10 year old through rebooting the rack in the scary dark corner of the
basement. I gave it up and went Google for my sanity.