Looking for a PERQ

tony duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 9 09:54:03 CST 2015

> I rescued one for VCFederation museum two years ago.
> http://vintagecomputer.net/perq/
> I was just looking at it this weekend.  It needs a keyboard and mouse I
> believe.  I remember there was a guy in Texas who had a few, never heard
> the full story though.

That's a PERQ 1 (or 1a, the difference is in the CPU board), The keyboard and pointing
device for a PERQ2 series machine are very different.

The PERQ1 uses a standard Summagraphics Bit Pad 1 as the 'mouse'. It has to be the
GPIB version, and connects to the GPIB port on the PERQ. There was going to be a
special mouse known as the 'Kriz tablet' but AFAIK it never existed.

The keyboard is an 8 bit parallel interface with strobe. IIRC it's essentially the ASCII
code on the bottom 7 bits and the top bit is the ctrl key. Also in the keyboard are the
reset button (which IIRC just grounds a line on the connector) and the DDS (diagnostic
display) which is a 3 digit decimal counter cleared by the reset button and incremented
by a signal from the processor, The machine will run without a DDS, but it's a lot harder
to figure out why it doesn't boot.

Basically what I am saying is that while it is nice to have the right parts, there are going
to be workarounds if you can't get them

-tony

Bill
--