Help w/ HP 88780 Tape Drive (corrected email).

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Fri Dec 4 09:34:43 CST 2015

On 12/3/15 10:45 AM, Mark J. Blair wrote:

>  I haven't done much with my Kennedy drive yet other than ordering a replacement power switch for it.

Keep an eye on the tach roller, the rubber degrades.
They are nice drives, but they spin fast and are not gentle on tapes.
When they work, they do pretty well on 800bpi media. There were a couple
of different revs of SCSI board, later ones have bigger buffers that
stream better. They also have the advantage over the 88780 that I was
able to find complete service manuals for them with schematics.

If people really get stuck for parts, I still have a few 88780s buried
in storage that I gave up on because I was promised a set of drawings that
came indirectly through some mysterious guy in Seattle, but I never got them.