Sales of unearthed Atari games total more than $100,000

ethan at 757.org ethan at 757.org
Sat Aug 29 23:37:12 CDT 2015

> Have the prices for 2600 E.T. carts climbed over the years, or is these
> buyers paying a premium to own a "Genuine landfill ATARI E.T. game,
> complete with certificate of authenticity" etc.?

General ET carts are cheap AFAIK. The landfill ones are special.

> Thing is, the article mentions only a few hundred carts. Rumor had it that
> many thousands of carts were dumped, and realistically, such an operation
> would never have been worth the while to dispose of only a few hundred, or
> maybe a couple thousand carts.

There were rumors of tons of them, but what they found was warehouse
excess and I don't think it was that much of it.

There are a few documentaries made on it. One was a full movie from the
Angry Video Game Nerd (people have been bugging him to review ET for a
long time.) Then there were a few others, should be on youtube.

If you're interested in Atari 2600 history, I also recommend the
documentaries "Stella At 20" and the Stella at 20 part two. It was a 20th
birthday party for the 2600 held at Noland Bushnells house (the first
part, 2nd was additional people off site.) Lots of interesting insight
into the a machine that changed the world.