VMS 5.4 AUTHORIZE issues

Kyle Owen kylevowen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 15:58:01 CDT 2015

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 2:26 PM, Peter Coghlan <cctalk at beyondthepale.ie>
wrote:

> You need an @ sign in front of SYS$SYSTEM:STARTUP.COM
>
> (Sorry - I think I originally posted that procedure with the @ sign
> missing.)

That seemed to do the trick! I'm now in the system. I'm struggling to
understand how to switch between making it conversational boot and not. I'm
assuming the lack of the NiCd battery will mean it won't necessarily
remember such preferences, but maybe I'm wrong. At this point, I think I'm
ready for it to boot non-conversationally.

Looks like it wasn't really wiped since it was last used in the mid-1990s.
I'll be reading up on VMS and learn how to do simple things like the
equivalent of "ls | less" in the *nix world. Not really sure how to read
the text printed to the terminal (VT320) one page at a time. In some OS/8
programs, you gave it the /P flag. Hmm...

It is complaining about DUB0:[RS1R4]RS1LOG.COM, DUB0:[ORACLES]ORAUSER.COM,
and DUB0:[ECMS4]LOGIN.COM after logging in. Not sure what that's all about.
%DCL-E-OPENIN, error opening [file]; as input
-RMS-E-DNR, device not ready, not mounted, or unavailable

How can I tell if it's an issue with the drive itself or something else? I
think this is one of the two 1.2 GB Sabre drives.

Thanks again for the tips!

Kyle