RS-232 Tx / Rx monitoring LEDs?

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Sun Aug 23 13:17:48 CDT 2015

On 2015-Aug-23, at 9:54 AM, Steve Moulding wrote:
> [...]

Sure, L shift predominates in the system, I was just speaking in general terms at that point.

The power companies may be playing it both ways though:
I was once told a story of a small mill or manufacturing co. and an electro-plating company situated next door to each other. But the mill was inductive (motors) and the electro-plating was effectively capacitive (not sure how that worked), so they pretty much cancelled each other out and weren't contributing to line losses for the power company. The power company was none-the-less charging both of them for poor power factor (industrial users having special power meters that track power factor).

As you mention rotary capacitors, a few miles away from me is a large gas-fired generating station that doesn't get used much for generation as we are primarily hydro in BC. But the hydro generation is distant from here - here being the primary load centre (Vancouver area). They unhook some of the generators at the gas-fired plant from the turbines and run them as rotary capacitors.