Vintage Software Copyright

ethan at 757.org ethan at 757.org
Fri Aug 21 12:10:18 CDT 2015

> It's a balance between data being lost, and violating copyrights. I am sortof
> aligned with der Mouse here. If I have something that is copyrighted, I do
> not want to contribute to spreading it without permissions. But I also do not
> want it to be lost. Many times it is things which I do have legally myself,
> so I don't even feel bad about it. If, at some point, the copyright holder
> decides that it's ok to redistribute, then I can help people who are looking
> for it.

In the case of hoarding crusty computer stuff, it's by far and large past
the end of it's useful life. The equipment isn't being run commercially,
it isn't being used to make money, and the software authors aren't around
to support sales of software for the machines. IF they were, I doubt many
people would buy it because once again, end of it's useful service life.

It's now museum relics, and a handful of people trying to preserve the
stuff before it is gone.

The internet doesn't remember all either, stuff is lost from the internet.
Wikipedia deletes pages they find boring or low traffic. Privately owned
servers crash, get hacked, or owners loose interest and move on to other
projects.

I don't really see archiving old paper manuals and magnetic media as a big
deal.

I *DO* have friends that are interested in vintage computing but work in
jobs where any copying of any software that isn't strictly allowed by law
is a no-no, and they're pretty much stuck. Own a couple of computers but
can't do much because it's difficult to buy software for Commodore
64 (especially development tools) and stuff. I think it's madness but
gotta feed the landlord/bankers.

  -- Ethan O'Toole