More on manuals plus rescue

Guy Sotomayor ggs at shiresoft.com
Tue Aug 18 20:58:14 CDT 2015

On 8/18/15 6:35 PM, Shoppa, Tim wrote:
>> IA saturates the channel. Jason and IA are deliberately working to redirect all search
>> traffic to IA from the original mirrors by constantly creating useless 'new' content that
>> Google thinks is real.
>>
>> I have watched over time as the volume of Google top search hits have migrated to IA hosted
>> content from the mirrors.
> I have occasionally stumbled into the bitsavers stuff on IA and was just confused and perplexed about what the IA guys are trying to do. Bitsavers has a perfectly obvious and navigable layout; IA makes no sense at all.

I just went to IA to see what all of the fuss was about.

I can sum up what I saw in one word.  Yech!

I agree with Tim, what IA is doing makes no sense.

About the only thing that I can figure out is that they decided to make it
"searchable" (but I didn't spend much time trying to figure out how "deep"
the search could go).  The problem that I have with a lot of the whole
"searchable" notion, is that in many ways the information is not longer
"navigable".

Sure with a search, I can get a lot of "hits" but the information is not
presented in any meaningful way (other than a simple linear list) and rather
than presenting some additional navigational structure, it requires
re-casting
the search to (hopefully) get to a list that is reasonable to search through
which is probably more work (and error prone).

TTFN - Guy