Analog to Digital Converter

Douglas Taylor dj.taylor4 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 18 10:16:11 CDT 2015

On 8/15/2015 12:40 PM, tony duell wrote:
>> I have a number of laboratory instruments that are from the 1990 time
>> frame.  They produce digital data that is the digitized signal from a
>> detector, the data can be from 512 to 65K samples long.  The ADC used in
>> these instruments is a 16bit 100ksample/sec design.  The ADC is in a 3
>> by 4 inch metal box with a row of pins on each long edge.
> [...]
>
>> What is inside the box?  Is it a hybrid circuit?
> I came across somewhat similar looking ADC and DAC modules in an I2S image
> display system. These were flat metal cans with pins on the bottom, going into
> individual sockets on the PCB.
>
> In that case the can could be opened up quite easily (I think just a couple of points
> to unsolder. Inside was a PCB _stuffed_ with components, including several possibly
> custom metal-can ICs (in the case of the ADC I susect fast analogue comparators).
>
> Have you tried to open your module? It may not be potted.
>
> -tony
I got a close enough look to get some markings deciphered.  It is an
Analog Solutions ZAD 2716-1 model.  A picture of it can be found here:

http://www.stronic.fr/photos/ANA1001.jpg

The metal box is a shield and is soldered to the circuit card, I think
that opening it up would be sort of a one way trip.

I found a discussion of it at:

http://www.lavryengineering.com/lavry_forum/viewtopic.php?t=598

The fellow who designed it actually has some kind of audio forum!

Doug