Z80 / Z84C Swap (Doh!)

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 15:20:57 CDT 2015

>From my inspection, it seems that this machine does have the DD option. The
tech manual mentions that the DD upgrade includes a small daughterboard
mounted on the mainboard, and the v1.4 ROM, which I assume contains the DD
driver code in the BDOS. Both a daughterboard (with a data cable to the
floppy drives) and the ROM are present in the machine.

By all appearances, it's a late version. The unit was sold the day before
Christmas in 1982. Based on their brisk sales at that point, the unit was
probably built within a few weeks of the sale date. It also has the final
two-piece molded plastic case with dark blue bezel.

To answer a couple of earlier questions - yes, I have a logic probe /
pulser set and a 20Mhz analog scope. First order of business is to get some
known-good media, before I start thinking too much about what might be
wrong with it.