Wang PC260 memory fault

Alexis Kotlowy thrashbarg at kaput.homeunix.org
Thu Aug 13 02:53:17 CDT 2015

Hi List,

So a good friend of mine recently resurrected his childhood 286 Wang
PC260 after I suggested he replace the keyboard controller. In the 14 or
so years it's been unused, it has developed a memory fault in one of the
conventional memory banks. The memory is soldered to the board so we're
looking for anything that might assist in tracking down the dud memory IC.

He can get it to boot if the memory size is set to 256kB, so I'm
guessing the second 256kB bank is bad. Is there software that exists
that can identify individual dead or faulty memory IC's, or at least the
corresponding bit(s) which may not be working?

According to Dr. Google, this machine was built by Tandy for Wang.
Perhaps there's a Tandy diagnostic disk that'll work with it, or better
yet a Wang diagnostic disk.

(I'm wondering if this question has been asked/answered before too)

Cheers,

Alexis.