SCSI Tape to TAP utility

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Aug 9 12:36:13 CDT 2015

On 08/09/2015 10:19 AM, Paul Koning wrote:

> More primitive than OS/360, which lets you put names on tape files
> but can’t find files by name?  That’s hard to imagine.

You haven't lived until you get a pile of tapes  (some mixed-density)
with no identifying labels at all, from an archivist who wants to know
what's on them, but can't provide any information as to where they came
from, much less what operating system wrote them.

I still think that OS/360 was miles ahead of UNIX.

Good OS-es allowed an operator to mount tapes for his next few jobs,
without paying attention to paper labels and have the OS automatically
locate and assign tapes to the proper job.

Can UNIX do that?

--Chuck